A list of video game and other media references
Video game references
- The start of the game (the player jumping out of bed) is a nod to the beginning of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening.
- When you interact with bookshelves, the player questions why they all look the same, poking fun at the reuse of graphics in (old) games.
- When you interact with the light switches in the hallway, the player will say "That doesn't work" or "Nope, I can't shift it". Both are quotes from a point and click adventure game Discworld.
- When you interact with the pots in the storage room, the player will tell you that looking at them makes him want to break them all, a reference to the urge of breaking all pots in The Legend of Zelda.
- When you interact with a box, the player will mention he doesn't have an inventory to put anything into, seemingly giving away he's in a video game (+ making it clear that you literally don't have one and no puzzles in the game involve collecting certain items).
- The Magickey slightly resembles the Boss Key from The Legend of Zelda, flying in the air like the Great Fairy from Link's Awakening specifically. It breaks the fourth wall by mentioning you might see him again in another game.
- 3 of the southern apartments have video game posters inside. From left to right they're from Metroid, Pokémon and Super Smash Brothers.
- The room where something is seriously wrong (and later the whole building) resembles a graphical video game glitch.
- When you read the note on the elevator as the old man, it'll tell you that it will never be available to you, with kind regards from me (the developer) ;)
- At the end of the game, the fourth wall get broken one final time when the player realizes he's really inside a video game. He doesn't seem to mind though. I'm sure he'd love to be in a sequel!
Other media references
- The coat in your apartment is a reference to this recurring sketch ending from the Fast Show.
- To fix the lights you have to turn the electrical cabinet off and on again, which is a reference to The IT Crowd.
- The painting of a dog smoking a pipe in room 34 is a reference to this part in Love Song - Bill Bailey.
- The name of the pizza delivery service (Planet Pizza) is a reference to Pizza Planet from Toy Story.
- The UFO (scene) is inspired by La Soupe aux Choux with a little bit of Close Encounters of the Third Kind (the tones) in there too.
- The painting of an eye in a red sky above a castle on the water in room 35 is a reference to the cover art of Ayreon - The Final Experiment.
- The date on the newspaper in room 35 (December 23, 1963) is a reference to the song December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night) of which that last part is the title of the original Ludum Dare entry of this game.
- When room 35 is glitching out and you try interacting with the bathroom door the player will say "There is no bathroom!" which is a reference to this scene in Kindergarten Cop.
Get Nonsense at Nightfall
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.